Sunday, July 19, 2009

Food and Lifestyle choices

Hi Friends and Family!

I know that it's been ages since I last wrote a blog but here I am now and what stories do I have to tell!  It has been an incredible whirlwind of a year so far.  In January I began taking classes through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.  It has been an absolutely incredible experience. In my time at IIN I have gained more than I ever thought possible - I started my own business, I am working with clients (counseling others to live healthfully and happily is the most thrilling thing I've experienced in a very long time), and learned a lot about myself in the process as well.  In the aftermath of my drama from 2008 I was falling into unhealthy patterns- feeling lost, angry, hurt- the normal feelings of heartbreak I suppose. The course at IIN has not only helped me to find a career path and direction I enjoy it also pushed me to work on my own life and really find what was important to me - in doing so I was able to break from the anguish I was trapped in and find joy in the amazing life I have around me.  

I've spent a lot of time over the last 7 months experimenting with my diet, exercise, and overall lifestyle choices to find what makes me feel the best and most productive.  I have made a lot of changes - I am able now to speak my mind about my opinions and living a healthy lifestyle is something I am more passionate about now than ever.  One big change that has come from all of this is that I have decided that for me eating meat simply is not for me.  I made this choice after several months of experimenting with my diet and have come to the conclusion that it's not worth it for me to have meat in my diet. I first began experimenting by taking meat out of my diet for a week or two at a time - when I did so I found that I had more energy - I felt lighter, happier, and just overall better. After a two week experiment I decided to integrate meat back into my diet amazingly enough all of the things I had felt relieved of came back - I was moodier, felt heavier, and just didn't feel as strong.  So I took it back out - and voila! after a day or two I felt better again.  Lighter, happier, and clearer than before.  So this time I took it out for two months and I consistently felt better - the change in my moods was the best thing I ever could have felt, I also found that my skin was better, and overall it was easier to make healthy choices while living this lifestyle.  BUT being the scientist that I am I decided to slowly integrate meat back in again just for a little bit - that angry, moody, cloud came over me yet again and I just didn't feel very good - more lethargic and definitely less driven.  So out went the meat.  

It is with all of that that I have come to the decision that it simply isn't worth it to me to have meat in my life.  I like the lifestyle choice I have made and I don't feel the need to go back.  Now this is my experience and my experience only - there are some people whose bodies simply don't function well without animal protein but I am not one of them.  I have so much fun finding healthy alternative proteins and I thoroughly enjoy this lifestyle.  I also feel that in this day and age the way animals are treated is so unbelievably bad I can't in good conscious support the system that promotes that kind of cruelty (see Food, Inc. if you want to see what I am talking about). So there you have it - I am finally announcing to the whole family my choice to be a vegetarian. I am happy with my choice but in this I wanted to make clear that I made the choice from an incredibly individual standpoint and for my own health.  

Now with all of that said I am off for a run in Central Park before I have to go to work.  I will write more very soon.  I am graduating from IIN next weekend and am so excited!!!  For any of you who have not had a chance to check out my website or read my newsletter go to www.sharonstevenshealth.com send me a message and I'll make sure to put you on my newsletter mailing list.  :)  

Love to all.  

No comments: